Blood Ring Egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheSheriffswife, Sep 19, 2011.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Hi everyone..I have a question. This is only my second hatch and I'm on Day 10. I am using a Brinsea Eco 20 EX I had a pretty successful first hatch from shipped eggs from a breeder. Well, I have another batch in from same breeder. I didn't candle the first hatch because she does not recommend it.

I decided today to take a peek.. Well one of the Sussex eggs had a VERY clear blood ring, almost 2 rings all the way around the egg. So, knowing these are bad I decided to get rid of it. I cracked it open outside and saw nothing but the bloody ring and goop.. BUT soomething caught my eye on the ground and I feel sick about this but I saw a little tiny (grain of rice size) thing wiggling on the ground. [​IMG]

Please tell me that this baby would not have been viable? UGH I feel horrible and I will never candle again! Also, the other eggs when I candled them for the most part looked like dark from the top to about 1/2 of 1/4 to the bottom Is that normal for this stage?

Thanks for any input!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe the tiny grain thing was just a bug that was on the ground, because I the chick would be bigger than that at day 10.

3. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    Sorry to say about twn days they look diffent as they are getting big I have 21 set and at 10 or 11 they all kind look blood ringish.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
  5. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Quote:Ok..Thanks for that link. It appears that what I saw would have been way to small..Phew! It was wierd tho [​IMG] And I do feel better! Thank YOU!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by