Blood ring in most of the eggs

ClaireBridger

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
Botswana
What could be the problem whenjust about all the eggs in the incubator have a blood ring? It's day 13 now and I have removed all the eggs, 95% have blooding rings and 5% infertile( I understand this issue). Is it the eggs? The incubator not keeping the correct humidity, set to 55% and temp set to 37.5 degrees Celsius. I think 1 possibly developed for a few days then died. Please help!

Blood ring normally means the embryo began development and then died. The ring is from the blood pooling and egg rotating. Sometimes bacterial causes the embryo death, but it could also be that you got very unlucky and it was bad genetics. Your humidity is a little high, but not enough to kill them all off. I'd be more concerned with temp fluctuations. Are you relying on the incubators sensors or do you have additional thermometers as well?

Blood ring normally means the embryo began development and then died. The ring is from the blood pooling and egg rotating. Sometimes bacterial causes the embryo death, but it could also be that you got very unlucky and it was bad genetics. Your humidity is a little high, but not enough to kill them all off. I'd be more concerned with temp fluctuations. Are you relying on the incubators sensors or do you have additional thermometers as well?
I was relying on the incubator temp but then purchased a thermometer and that read 35 degrees Celsius, I only bought it they day before I threw the eggs out after candling.

I was relying on the incubator temp but then purchased a thermometer and that read 35 degrees Celsius, I only bought it they day before I threw the eggs out after candling.
Yup, that'll do it. Way too low, you want 38C. If you try a new batch of eggs make sure to calibrate your unit (if you can, otherwise work around it) and have at least two external thermometer/hydrometer readers. I have two digital with probes (makes life easier) and two liquid thermometers for my unit. If the digital seem off or I just want to triple check, I throw the liquid ones in there.

The eggs where basically shipped they travelled 700 km with someone who brought them for me from another town.
If you friend took the time to bring them to you over that distance, I would not count them as shipped because they weren't making multiple stops, being thrown around, put on and off planes and jostled with a bunch of other boxes. I would think if they were bringing them 700km to you then they probably treated them carefully. If all the eggs other than the infertile had blood ring I would say they were developing and died because of the temp. Probably within the first few days. Did you candle the eggs before day 14?

Back
Top Bottom