Blood ring pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Oct 27, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    If anyone is interested, I have two eggs with blood rings, one an early demise and the other a bit older.

This first photo is an egg I set 10 days ago and candled today to find a blood ring:

[​IMG]

The next photo shows an egg I set 5 days ago with an early blood ring.

[​IMG]

Here is what this egg should have looked like with a well developed embryo and veining.

[​IMG]

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks... just learning to candle. This is helpful.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    GREAT pics, thank you!

This needs to be added to the incubation sticky notes!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"If anyone is interested???" Are you kidding??? This is SO helpful! Thanks!!!!!!

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    OMG...When I first got chickens I said I was NOT going to get an incubator and try to hatch chicks on my own. I had every intention of letting any hen that went broody do all the work! I thought that people were crazy to incubate eggs (except in rare cases of not being able to find what they wanted locally). Now...dang it...a guy that works part time here has told me I could borrow his incubator! Please someone help me! I know my eggs are fertile because I do have a lovely RIR roo that takes his duties SERIOUSLY! lol
    I could so hatch some eggs...I am slipping! Going deeper and deeper into chicken madness! Oh Noooooo! [​IMG] Ok, seriously...if it wasn't about to be winter, I think I would do it just to see if I could. Hopefully by spring I will have regained control of myself! I still want to get some SLW's, so I don't have room to raise any RIR or BO/RIR chicks! I don't...I really really don't. If I keep repeating this maybe it will take! Really cool pics, by the way!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awesome pictures! thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

7. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Great pictures!!! One for a sticky for sure!!

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:lol I only wanted 2 chickens for eggs, now I have 1 lg fowl and 3 bantam, 8 eggs due to hatch on friday (if they hatch) and 11 quail chicks all because I wanted 2 hens. oh and don't forget the incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by