Blood Ring & Question about how hardy eggs are.

SnapHappii

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Hello. I'm new
I have a great fascination with birds and eggs. I have 8 Pekin Ducks as well as many other mallard ducks. I have about 20 Pekin eggs in my incubator right now. A lot are developing with veins and such, but there are some which have a quarter sized ring with a dot in the middle. Is this a blood ring? If not, are they fertile or should I just toss them?

And my Pekin ducks aren't too smart... they tend to lay their eggs in the shallow creek or in the pond[which is just about a foot deep]. Do these eggs have any chance of survival once they've been in the water? My sister found a couple in the creek this morning and brought them in. Needless to say I dated them and put them in the incubator, but I just want to know if I'm wasting time & incubator space.

Thanks!

william9792

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
graham, nc
and i do not know about ducks, but you do not wash chicken eggs so i would think that duck egg should not be in a pond before putting in bator. and what day are your eggs on? and if they are not on all the same day, do you have a hatcher? for stager hatch. william

aberfitch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Texas Fort Worth
veins and a dot is a good thing. no veins and a dot is bad. Best to check on day 10. It is the most clear and developed to be able to tell.

SnapHappii

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Quote:I put the first eggs in on March 4th. Every day I will collect however many eggs I can find, date them, and keep them at room temperature. I have been trying to put them in every 3 days, because I only have 1 incubator, and 3 days should be plenty for ducks to hatch & dry off to be removed so the next batch can hatch safely.

SnapHappii

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Quote:It doesn't look like a vein though. It's just a thing red circle with a dot.

Top Bottom