1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood ring with live embryo, or am I Crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Elite Silkies, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Is there anyway this is possible or I am just seeing things? The blood ring is very evident. I put the egg on a stand so that it was perfectly still and I am almost positive the embryo is moving.

I thought I was just seeing things. Could it have been a double yolk? Or is there no way possible there is a live chick in this egg?

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Could just be an extra-ordinary vein!

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

beg your pardon, perhaps you mistakenly judge the egg have a blood ring, maybe the *view* isn't too clear to see the true thing inside. [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It depends on what you are looking at.

If it turned out to look like a spider vein, you got an embryo growing!

If it is all around the outside of yolk, no real spider veins, just pooling on the inside wall of the egg, it is a dud. You can try to incubate a little longer if you are not sure, it will stay the same and no development will be made from it. Chuck those out.

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I am going to keep it in their for a few more days and see what it does. The blood ring does not go all the way around but it is a dark ring.

I wish I could video it, but my recorder is broke. I tried to take a picture but of course you can't see it moving.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know what you're talking about. There is often a vein that runs around the circumference of the egg, which the spider veins filter down to from at the aircell level. If there it no veining, it's a blood ring. If there is veining, it's probably just a larger blood vessel. Also, sometimes a dead embryo can seem to be moving, but it's just floating in the white of the egg and moves with the shaking of your hands when you are holding it. If you are not sure, I'd mark it and leave it a couple more days till the difference between the other chicks and that one are more pronounced.

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I put it on a stand, but I'm probably still moving it the slightest bit and not realizing it [​IMG]. I marked it and will keep it in for another day. I thought I saw some slight veining, but not like the others. It's probably just the veining that started before it died.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, hopefully, it's okay; just recheck in a couple days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by