Blood ring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrzyCknLady, Feb 8, 2013.

1. CrzyCknLady

CrzyCknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    I've looked online and checked everywhere - I think I have an egg on day 9 that is just a blood ring but I'm not totally sure.

Opinions? I noticed on day 4 or so that the vein appeared to be stuck to the shell and much darker than the rest of my eggs - it was much smaller then, probably a 1/4 of the size of this. This egg is a blue shell from my favorite EE so I don't want to toss it if there is a possibility it might just be a funny little thing - but I also don't want it to explode in my incubator. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    The egg is on day 9? that is half way through the incubation period, you should be seeing a chick in there. I would get it out of there, I've had eggs explode and it is the nastiest thing you can imagine.

3. CrzyCknLady

CrzyCknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks! I ended up going ahead and checking it again - then cracking it open. It was definitely a quitter.....It looks like it stopped developing on day 3 or so.......I just wanted someone else to tell me it was OK since this was the one egg I was most looking forward to hatching since it is from my favorite hen. [​IMG] I would have felt horrible if I had cracked it and found a viable chick inside......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by