Blood ring?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Sorry; I know this isn't the brightest candling nor the clearest of pictures, but this is a duck egg on day 17. It was doing fine yesterday but now the veins don't seem as clear and there's no movement and I am suspicious that maybe that is a blood ring forming around the bottom? It has been incubating broad site up in an egg carton, which is why I had to take a couple pics around the side to get more of the ring pictured.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It does look like it may have died, but since it looks like there are still some vessels I would put it back in for now. I am super cautious with eggs, so I would keep it in the incubator another day or two and then candle again, just to be absolutely sure. It will not rot and explode in that short time period, so it's safe to keep it in there for now.

3. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Thank you for responding. I was worried about when it might explode if dead, so it's good to know I can hold on for a couple of days without fear of that. I definitely would like to be sure before tossing it out. I was trying to keep a closer eye on air cells because I found most of my eggs' cells are not drying out enough... Makes me sad to now find one not making it this far along! I know it happens though - I'm probably just an overly-sensitive first-timer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by