Blood rings and porous eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lemondsm, Sep 29, 2011.

1. lemondsm

lemondsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    I have a couple of questions. I placed ten silkie and/or frizzle eggs in my incubator.

I candled them today (day 3).

5 have what are clearly a red ring that doesn't move as I rotate the egg slowly while candling. (As if it is stuck to the side of the egg)

3 that appear to be fertile but very porous looking. 1 has the spidering but does have a light red ring as well but it moves with the yolk.

2 appear to not be devolping at all.

I guess I would like a little more detail about blood rings. That means they began devloping an then stopped? The eggs with the red rings that didn't seem to move as I turned the eggs....should I go ahead and toss them now? What about the one that seemed to be spidering but the ring moved as I turned the egg?

Also, most all of these eggs seemed to be porous. What would cause that? They have oyster shell and a healthy diet.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It is really to early to tell at day 3. You should wait until day 10 and candle to be absolutely sure. Just my opinion.

3. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    I'll try to refrain from candeling them until then. Any ideas on why most of them are so porous?

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Porous eggs = old eggs... Were they shipped or stored previous to hatching?

Blood rings- caused by bacteria... Most of the time due to dirty nesting boxes, or eggs laid on the ground. The environment needs to be clean until the bloom has time to dry.

(bloom-the liquid coating of a freshly laid egg)

ETA: By the way, porous eggs CAN hatch.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:we had a group of chickens that laid them this way (one breed out of our multi-breed flock) ... thin shells and porous even on day one.

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Occasionally it happens... Especially in new layers. They don't make a uniform shell and it gets weak in spots... But the most common cause is age... Not saying it's the only cause though... [​IMG]

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

this is a possible boold ring in this egg, its been in 7 days and was doing good, now it looks like this, see the dark ring around the egg? and no veins..
    [​IMG]

this ones Porous and had a start of a blood ring
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. stephanie1992

PS- DO NOT TOSS ANY TILL DAY 10 just to be sure

9. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    Thank you all for the info. A couple of mine I guess could be porous because they were 4-5 days old when I set them. My nests are kept clean. I change out the shavings pretty regularly so I am still not sure why the blood rings and so many of my eggs are porous. Only a couple were more than 4-5 more days old. Has anyone had an egg with a partial blood ring hatch or has anyone candled one around day three and saw a blood ring and then the eggs actually developed and hatched? I will definitely hang on to all of them until day 10 before I toss any.

10. stephanie1992

Quote:i candled at day 3 and saw what i thought was a blood ring which later developed and i started to see veins. soo day 3 is to early to be tossing any eggs, and make sure u candle everyside of the eggs and look very closly for any signs of growth, good luck, if u have anymore questions just keep posting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by