Blood rings...some are, some aren't...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 30, 2008.

1. After candling many, many eggs over the past couple of months I have discovered that some eggs that appear to have blood rings...that is...a red ring that goes all the way around the egg...end up developing chicks that hatch. I think what they really are is the bottom portion of the veining "web". I even had a couple that I couldn't really see the typical spider looking veins...just the red ring...and I didn't throw them out. At day 14 they both had chicks with veins and they hatched on day 22.

Miss Prissy...you are soooo right. Don't throw anything out...even a "blood ring" until day 14!!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This is very interesting! I will have to be sure to remember to not throw those blood ring eggs out until after day 14 for now on!

3. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Songster

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Do you think that holds true for duck eggs as well????

4. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Yep. The veining can be very deceptive in the first 10 days. I am finally getting to the point that I can be hands off for the first 10 days. Unless they are REALLY special eggs, like a favorite hens first eggs. Then I'm worse than a newbie!

Miravelle~ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those belted Galloways!!!!!!!!!!! I may have to come see them them. They are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: