1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood rings...some are, some aren't...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    After candling many, many eggs over the past couple of months I have discovered that some eggs that appear to have blood rings...that is...a red ring that goes all the way around the egg...end up developing chicks that hatch. I think what they really are is the bottom portion of the veining "web". I even had a couple that I couldn't really see the typical spider looking veins...just the red ring...and I didn't throw them out. At day 14 they both had chicks with veins and they hatched on day 22.

Miss Prissy...you are soooo right. Don't throw anything out...even a "blood ring" until day 14!!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This is very interesting! I will have to be sure to remember to not throw those blood ring eggs out until after day 14 for now on!

3. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Do you think that holds true for duck eggs as well????

4. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Yep. The veining can be very deceptive in the first 10 days. I am finally getting to the point that I can be hands off for the first 10 days. Unless they are REALLY special eggs, like a favorite hens first eggs. Then I'm worse than a newbie!

Miravelle~ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those belted Galloways!!!!!!!!!!! I may have to come see them them. They are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by