Blood Rings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laceyyates, Sep 15, 2016.

1. laceyyates

laceyyates Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    I've got 9 buffs (local eggs) and 14 cream legbars (shipped eggs) in the bator. This is day 6. All of the buffs appear to be developing well. My leghorns were developing ok (some had wonky air sacs), but out of 9 that I could see developing eggs, it appears that 5 of them are developing blood rings? What gives? Is it because they were shipped eggs?

I'm dry incubating. Temp has stayed at a steady 100 degrees F. I have 3 thermometers. The humidity has been 24-27% fairly steady. There was one time it dipped to the teens. I added 2 tsps water and it soared to 60% humidity. Other then that, I have kept things pretty steady, I think.

I have candled every day as this is my second hatch (my first was was an epic fail - as I don't think any of my eggs were fertilized!) and I just want to be hands on so I can learn as much as I can.

What are some reasons they are forming blood rings? I'm sure that's what they are (a steady line that wraps about half way around the egg). Do I throw them out or is there an off chance it's not a blood ring?

THANKS for your patience and willingness to share your experience and wisdom!

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I responded to your other thread, but I wouldn't throw them out yet, if it doesn't encircle the shell, it might be a "blood island," not a blood ring.... I have a couple Araucana eggs that I'm watching for the same reason....

Give them a little time, if it doesn't smell bad, leave it in for a while!

3. laceyyates

laceyyates Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    Thanks for the hope! Will you still be able to see the embryo and veins with the blood island?

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I think so, at day 10 we'll be able to know more about what's going on [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes. After a few days the "blood Island will actually grow faint and you'll see, (if your eggs are light enough) a myriad of veins thickening through out the egg, and the little heartbeat you see the first days of development will grow fainter and you'll start to see a black spot (the big eye) and it'll start moving around when you shine the light in there.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by