Blood rings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melissastraka, Apr 17, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I only candled 4 eggs last night and i saw a couple of blood rings. They are on day 4. What causes this and is it still to early to tell if they are viable? What should i be seeing at this stage? Should I leave them there or dispose of them. They were 4 out of 42 but i didnt want to keep the bator open to long. any input would be great!

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I always wait till day 10 to candle my eggs then if I see blood rings I remove. give it a few more days and see

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It wont hurt to keep them in a few more days, just to be sure. Re-candle them at that time. Day 4 is reallly too early. If at Day 9-10, there is no veining, but only a ring then you will be certain of what you're seeing.

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Sometimes that early a starting vein can really look like a blood ring. Wait for more days and try again. They may surprise you and be healthy growing embryos.

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I was planning on leaving them till at least day 10 to see if it started veining. I am hoping for at least a 50% hatch since i have never really done this before. I will leave them be and wait till day 10...i just hope none of them explode this time.... [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree it could be the vein network. Early veins are often misinterpretted as blood rings. Waiting will ensure you gave them a chance and you'll know for sure at day 10 or 14. Good luck with your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by