Blood Rings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Freya, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    I'm new to hatching my own eggs. First time. I have 8 silkie chicks incubating right now! I am so excited!! Anyhow, I candled them this morning (day 7) and 2 of the eggs seem to have blood rings, but I'm not completely sure because the brown eggs are hard to see thru. The other eggs I can see something (vague indications of veins), but not as well as some of the photos I've seen here.
    Anyhow, here's photos of the 2 eggs. Not sure if they are really blood rings and if I should toss them or keep trying to hatch them. I figured I'd keep them at least for a few more days to see if anything changes. Sorry, the photos aren't the best, still trying to figure out how to take better dark photos (any ideas? lol)

[​IMG]

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

They do look like blood rings but I would hold onto them for a few more days before thinking about tossing them

3. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    Yea, I definately don't want to throw them out too early. Like to save as many chicks as I can. I think I read somewhere that some eggs with blood rings can still hatch? Is that true? I figured I'd keep watching them to see if they grow any and if not, then remove them.

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of that happening but never witnessed it myself. It can't hurt to try anyways.
    I usually don't throw em unless they stink or are too overdue (I let them go a week or 2 overdue before tossing).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by