blood-shot eyes and apathy

kaki

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Seasons greetings to all, I'm having a cold Christmas holiday here, just me and the birds. The nights are cold, but haven't reached 0 yet.
This morning I went out to give the girls breakfast and one of them just stood where I place the feed tray, like she was waiting. The other 2 followed me around and picked at the food that fell on the ground.
I watched them eat, and the sick chicken did eat, albeit slowly. She showed interest in the food but didn't move much afterward. Looking closely, I saw she has blood-shot eyes and looks sleepy, her comb is visibly darker red in colour and she doesn't move around. She is the tamest of the 3, she doesn't even flinch if i step over her or reach out and touch her, but she is moving much less than usual.

It got cold here suddenly, quite strange weather, and recently there is a flock of 10 or 15 wild birds (swallows or sparrows, I think...) sharing their food and pooing on my spinach. No signs of any other pests though. They like to bathe in the sand and sun, but the sun has dropped so low that they are in shadow most of the day. They are brown coloured meat birds (Catalana is the closest thing I could find on the net) and they are about a year old.

I'll keep searching for advice, but I hope someone can post something here.

If they got wild birds coming in there I would bet you got a worm infestation. Valbazen is good wormer I think you only have to dose one time but check to be sure. If you use something else then you are gonna have to dose and then again in 10 days.

Thanks for the swift reply.
I poured myself a holiday drink and picked her up to have a better look at her. We sat in direct sunlight and I noticed that she was breathing heavily, however that had abated about 15 minutes later. 20 minutes after I had picked her up she stood up and tried to get off of my lap, so I put her down.
She started walking around the garden slowly, and I had to go out for a bit, so I left her there. I got back about 2 hours later and she was standing in the same spot, occasionally pecking at lettuce leaves.
I will make a trip to the pet shop tomorrow, they sell 'fairy princess' looking chickens and may have some worming tablets.

tonight I checked the coop and found that she had gone up to roost as usual. Maybe it's not the end of her world...

Back
Top Bottom