Blood smear on egg - should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Granolamom, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    My 6 month old SLW girl, Lucy, just layed an egg that had a smear of blood on it. Is this something I need to worry about?

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    That is actually really common, when they first begin to lay-I suppose their vent is just "adjusting" [​IMG] I don't think you have anything to worry about.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have ran across this a few times with my girls as well. I have never had anything become of it. I would say as long as you don't see any tissue or it doesn't happen on a regular basis everything should be fine.

There are others here with more experience who may be able to offer more/better advice. Good luck!

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's quite common and not normally a problem. Your hen just ruptured a little capillary somewhere along the "egg route".

5. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Thanks for the answers, guys! I was really hoping I'd hear something along these lines (no big deal, happens all the time...)[​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Two of my young brown leghorn hens just started laying and they had this too.I'm glad it's no big deal.It only happened once.They've been laying three days now,and I have not seen it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by