Blood Spattered Pullet Egg- **Photos**

Coopacabana

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 19, 2012
Seattle, Washington
I found this pullet egg in the coop today. It is her second egg, but the first one wasn't bloody. I've never had this happen this before. Is it just a thing that can happen to pullet eggs ocasionally? Or is it serious? Please excuse the dirt, i'm talking about the red drops.

first pic shows the blood, the second a diff. view of the blood, and the third the non bloody side:

Quite a few of my pullets had a smear of blood on their first egg. I figure their poor systems aren't used to something that large coming through. Unless it continues or gets worse, I'd say it's normal and don't worry.

Yes, it's normal, especially for new layers. However, blood on eggs can also be sign of mites (they eat near the the vent and cause bloody bits on the skin than smears onto the eggs) so check your hens carefully for mites. Mites hide during the daytime so you'll only see signs - not the mites themselves.

she layed another egg that isn't bloody. She doesn't have mites, but that's good to know. Thanks!!! I'm glad there's nothing wrong with her, she is so sweet. She's an OEGB- Belgian d'uccle cross.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom