1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood spatters & smears everywhere

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockanuts, Dec 28, 2013.

1. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

I have blood spatters and smears all around the inside of the coop. Even where my 12 girls lay their eggs. Kinda rules out the rooster, I think. I have checked all of the girls and can't find a single sign that any of them are bleeding from anywhere!!! What is going on??? Any ideas??? [​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could they have killed some rodent? Feeding frenzy will result in blood splatters everywhere.

3. flockanuts

Oh goodness! I don't have any idea!!! There was fresh blood today in the nesting area but there has been blood on the walls up where they roost!! Just can't figure it out....

4. GravelBeak

GravelBeak Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Most likely it's nothing to worry about. I find this happens sometimes, and it's almost always the roosters (and sometimes the hens) getting minor comb injuries. The combs tend to bleed a lot, but it's usually not anything serious, it just splatters around a lot. Or, one of them could have broken off either a toenail or a spur (spurs bleed a LOT and need to be bandaged up if broken).

Still, I would give everyone a thorough look, just to try and see what the damage is, plus, it's always good to check up on each individual at least semi-regularly! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. flockanuts

Thanks GravelBeak. Actually, a lot of the smearing yesterday was on the feeder where my roo was eating. Kind of luckily, he is now afraid of me and won't let me get close enough to look at him very well. He was starting to charge at me and, after I chased him all over 2 acres 3 different times threatening to put him in a stockpot, he pretty well stays away from me. [​IMG]

6. GravelBeak

GravelBeak Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. :)

If your rooster is acting like a dork and being mean, you may wanna give this and this a look.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by