Blood-Speckled eggs

user634184

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2022
Wilmington, NC
2EF36E48-9527-4C82-878F-5F694013304F.jpeg

Hi all, I’m receiving these kinds of egg the last few days, the eggs before these looked like they came out of a fire, super rough and dark in places. I had taken her to the vet weeks about being lethargic and sitting in the woods most of the day, but lately she’s moving and eating normally. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2C1B9C36-FDDC-4E2D-AFE6-0D7DC3B5A4CB.jpeg
    2C1B9C36-FDDC-4E2D-AFE6-0D7DC3B5A4CB.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 1
  • BE40B386-F09F-4A84-8C60-2202A97B4E32.jpeg
    BE40B386-F09F-4A84-8C60-2202A97B4E32.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1
Do the spots wash off? I think she is a new(?) layer, just working out kinks. That really does not look like blood to me, it looks more like pigment.

If it is blood, IMO, she will either get better or not. I don't think there is anything you could do about it.

However, any bird that is moving and eating normally and laying, is generally just fine. I think you are worrying over nothing but a glitch. I would expect this to work itself out in a couple of weeks. Often times this time of year, when egg laying starts up, you get some wonky eggs. There are a lot of posts just recently on this.

Mrs K

They do wash off, she was laying eggs for several months just fine with no blood, we had a couple weeks of soft eggs and weird shapes and some yolks with absolutely no shell which is what led to some x rays and nothing threatening visible but I’ll continue to keep an eye on it

Thank you 🙏

I am surprised that is blood, as when I have had blood on the egg, it is more of smear, such as a little tear in the vent as the egg passes through, not spattered like that.

Well, there really is nothing you can do about it, other than keeping her, or culling her. I would not hatch any of her eggs. People really have no way to control laying. It either happens or doesn't.

Mrs K

I have one FCM that lays speckled eggs:

1121211702.jpg

Every one of her eggs has more or less speckling -- it's just her special egg-coloring trait.

I also got some bloody eggs from a SLW as she was going out of lay before molting:

1024211054b.jpg

Not only was the blood quite red before it dried, the hen in question had messy feathers around her vent.

Back
Top Bottom