Blood spot? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eggybritches, Sep 19, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    This is my first time incubating. I set in 7 runner duck eggs yesterday (because that's all my incubator can hold) and after 24 hours I just candled them. I didn't expect to see anything yet because it's only been 24 hours, but I'm too curious not to. On one of the eggs it looks like a blood spot has developed. I have four other eggs that I have to pitch, but they've only been sitting an extra 24 hours. Should I switch the two out? Do blood spots develop in 1 day or am I being paranoid for nothing? If it is a blood spot could it still hatch?

HELP!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the first thing to do eggybritches, is to realize that candleing so soon is absolutely no indication of an eggs viability. Give it til day 7 and then candle. If you have clear eggs, you can despose of them at that time.......Pop

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Thank you! I know, I know, it's just killing me that I have four eggs that are sitting in my closet that could be perfectly healthy and these could be the duds.

Silly eggs giving me so much worry already.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

the *blood spot* could be an embryo, so you won't be able to be sure about that before day 7, you can candle on 3-4 days to see that spider lay inside your chicken eggs [​IMG] , but to make sure, candle on 7th days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by