1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood spot in egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by THunter, Oct 27, 2011.

1. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a question. I've raised chickens for years and never noticed this before. What would cause a small bllod spot in an egg white? These are from a flock with no roosters. The eggs are from 2-year-old hens. Doesn't happen often, maybe one in 50.

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    It is totally normal. When the albumen and the membrane are forming sometimes a small blood vessel can break in the hen which will cause a blood spot. It is completely normal. When you cook the egg the blood will normally disappear as the albumen turns white. It is really unnoticeable. I cook and eat eggs with blood spots. No worries.

3. THunter

Figured it was something like that. Doesn't bother me, I just scramble them. Scared it might bother a customer or two is all.

4. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    It dosen't bother me either. I eat chicken meat so I think of it as a little extra protein from my hen.

5. THunter

By the way, epeloquin, love your signature line!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by