Blood Spot in eggs!!( VENT) What really is a blood spot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Ok this is a small vent on my part. My dh takes or eggs to work and sells them. Anywhere from 5-10 doz a week, well today one of the guys that buys them told him he had 4 out of 12 eggs with blood spots in them. I have only ever seen one blood spot in one of my eggs and that was months ago. My dh also went and asked the others that buy eggs from us if they have ever had blood spots and they all said no never.

This one guy was just makeing a big deal about it. My dh gave him another doz for free, to shut him up. It just rubbed me wrong. So what is a blood spot really from?? My hens eat 20% layer crumbles, BOSS, table scrapes now and then and they have a acre to free range. I also have no roo.

So do you think this guy really got 4 eggs with blood spots?? [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Great question! I would also like to know the answer to this one.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Correct me if I'm wrong but blood spots happen when a capillary (small vein) bursts during the egg making process. The "spot" of blood gets trapped in the egg. You can always candle the eggs you sell if you want to avoid the problem. Personally I think the guy was making a big deal out of nothing. It's not like it's a terrible thing, the eggs are still edible.

If you do start getting a lot in your eggs it's usually a sign of stress.

Edited to add, I'd be ragging on him for having such a weak stomach. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2008
  4. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Do you have any roosters, or guineas that could've mated with the birds, and they was fertilized?

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    No rooster no male of any kind, just my two goats but they are wethers.[​IMG] and I just cooked 2 doz eggs and not one blood spot!! I think the guy in full of it!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Probably just full of it like you said. [​IMG] My friend's idiot boyfriend refuses to eat the yolk and makes her seperate it out from the whites when she cooks breakfast and she has to be certain to get that little white thing because he believes it is the sperm from the rooster. They are commercial eggs... no roo involved [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Even if the eggs were fertile it would not cause a blood spot.

the odds that this guy got 4 blood spots in 12 eggs while the other guy you sold to got none are astronomical, though it is more likely he got 1 blood spot.

Personally I'd replace the 4 "bad" ones for him this one time, if he complains again I wouldn't sell him eggs.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could have a hen who habitually lays blood spots... but for him to complain is a bit picky. I'm sure I've sold eggs with blood spots but who I sell to know they are fresh eggs and so haven't been candled for anything more than cracked shells. Nothing wrong with a blood spot. I'd ditch them as a customer if there are too many complaints.

9. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
  10. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    I have had my 25 hens for two years now. In that time they have laid year round and i get 1 -2 dozen eggs a day. I am not going to do the math but that is a lot of eggs. Out of all of those eggs, I have only seen maybe 8-10 blood spots. So 4 in one carton is very unlikely.

I would cut him off as a customer if he complains anymore, and let him pay $3-4 for a dozen of nasty month old store bought eggs. Its not worth the DRAIN BAMAGE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by