Blood spot on yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muddler6, Feb 2, 2008.

1. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I have had a couple eggs recently that had blood spots on the yolk. Any ideas what causes this, and are they still O.K. to eat? [​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It is normally from a popped blood vessel within the hen. Nothing to worry about, just happens from time to time.

They are fine to eat. Some folks use a fork or something to pick off the blood spot, but not really necessary.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

3. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Thanks Matt, I did what you said and picked it out. This just happened recently with a couple eggs, but I didn't pay enough attention to see if it was the same bird or not (easy enough to do when I only have three girls right now an all their eggs are different sizes and colors). They made fine french toast today too by the way.

I just checked out your website too, I might be interested in talking to you about some hatching eggs in a few months. I want to get some more bantam cochins to make the gene pool a little deeper. If you would consider a swap of some sort or just a straight sale let me know. You can look at my birds on my link below and let me know what you think.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    Some times blood spots are caused by a vitamin deficiency, don't remember which one, so if they get worse you may want to try vitamins. Some of our hens and pullets had blood spots but after we gave them vitamins they disappeared.

5. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I'll do that too, I have been giving the chicks in the brooder some vitamins and have lots to spare for the big girls too. Never thought about that. They haven't been able to go out and scratch around and eat outside of the pen because of the snow and ice. Tomorrow morning they get vitamins!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by