Blood spot

blueeyescry

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2016
Lake Park Georgia
Hi everyone I am new I have a few questions to ask. Ok so let me get started::
I am incubating my duck eggs, this morning I went out to collect and I candle it with flashlight one has a tiny blood spot inside that's not near the yolk and on the outside of the egg where the blood spot is there is a circle engraved around the blood spot. My question is can I still incubate the egg and it be fertile. I don't want to put a bad egg in with the others. I'm in closing a photo of egg. Thanks for your help.

welcome-byc.gif

Not sure how far along? Doesn't look like it's far..I have only hatched duck eggs a couple of times. But, they are similar. This blood spot could be nothing if it is still very early in stage of incubation...up to three days..?
After that we start to wonder. Watch it, candle again around day 7, if it is still looking like this at day 7 ..toss it!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I don't see an issue incubating an egg with a small blood spot. The embryo will likely absorb it. Worst case it might die during development, if for some reason the blood spot was placed in an area it could interfere.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens. I have never hatched eggs before, on my bucket list for next year. So I will just wish you luck!

Thank you everyone I went ahead and put it in the incubator and it's doing good so far, I'm so thankful for all your help, this week I'm going to to be having pekin ducks hatching I'm so excited, all this is new to me and I've learned so much through this process of incubation of eggs,it's very interesting to me. Happy hatching everyone bless you all thanks again, I love this site

Back
Top Bottom