1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood spots are becoming frequent, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cdawnrose, Dec 6, 2013.

1. cdawnrose

cdawnrose New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't worried about the first 2 eggs with blood spots, my ladies had just started laying so I just blew it off as new layers, that was back in Sept. However recently I have been getting at least 2 of these a week ( I only have 7 ladies). I found a post from back in '10 that was about the same issue and answers varied from the cause being a fertilized egg to vitamins A & K deficiency, I been around "birds" just enough to know a rooster doesn't cause blood or meat spots (plus I most definitely have all hens). Am I doing or not something right? They have not been through any recent scares that I am aware of, I feed layer crumbles and scratch grains, and keep grit and oyster shell available to them, and I keep fresh water. If it is an A & K deficiency what can I give them to replenish these vitamins?

2. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Kale is high in Vitamin A and high in potassium and available from the grocery store. You could try including some in their diet.

3. cdawnrose

cdawnrose New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you, I will definitely try using the kale! Is there such a thing as too much? I don't wanna over do it and cause another issue lol

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Most leafy greens are high in vit K.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    All or almost all so called meat or blood spots in fresh eggs are caused by a small rupture in the blood vessels in a hens' reproductive track.
    A pullet when first starting to lay may need to rearrange her internal organs to accommodate egg laying, a blood spot is the usual result until everything is in place.

The more likely reason for blood spots is that some thing or some one is scaring your birds causing them to run into or fly against the wire etc. This injury creates small internal hemorrhages that are then covered by the shell. I always kept our blood spotted eggs for family consumption and used a spoon or the end of a table knife to lift the spot off the yoke before making an omelet or scrambled eggs. They are equally good in pancake batter or for baking. Call me squeamish but I never fried up a Sunny side up egg with a meat spot on it or served one up hard boiled or stuffed.

Back then we used a commercial egg grader/candler coupled with good human eye sight to pull blood spotted eggs off the candler/grader line before the eggs reached the grader. Suffice it to say that you need a dark room and rapt attention to do this job for hours a day every day.

6. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Mine eat grass all day long and are fine. They know when they've had enough. I would tear it up into small pieces though before giving it to them.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by