1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Blood spots...I think

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vgl42, Jul 22, 2010.

1. vgl42

vgl42 In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Ottawa
    Hello all,

I have 2 RIRs that I recently purchased (about 6 weeks ago). I was told they were around a year old. The kids love them.

Their egg laying was sketchy at first, i.e. about an egg every 2-3 days and the shells were very thin, so I added Oyster Shell to the diet and the shells seem to have gotten a bit stronger...not perfect, but OK.

Once they settled into their new environment, they started laying a respectable 6 per week (each)....but they started to eat the eggs....Argh! I made some adjustments to the nesting box and now, no more eating...

So, now that we can actually have some eggs for ourselves, I noticed that some of the eggs had red spots on the shell. They look like blood specks. Inside the eggs, I see small spots, the size of sand (or smaller) and they are red. These are mostly in the whites of the egg. Sometimes, there is a larger spot, and sometimes there are a bunch of the tiny specks. I am assuming that they are blood spots, but I thought blood spots were in the yolk.

Nevertheless, I figured out it is always coming from one of the hens. Coincidentally, the hen had an ankle band when I bought her...I am hoping that this is something other than a farmer selling a problem hen instead of culling her.

Any suggestions?

2. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    One of my girls rarely lays, and if she does its only partially formed shells etc. The other day she managed to lay a "proper" egg. The shell was very thin and looked a bit wrinkly, but it was an egg nonetheless and I was excited.

I cracked it cautiously and there were a number of blood spots in the white. I fed it to the dog as I am not keen to eat that.

Anyway if you do a search on blood spots in eggs you'll find a bit of information. I found the following link that I thought interesting:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=98141

All the best.

3. vgl42

vgl42 In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Ottawa
    Thanks. There is some good info in that thread.

I worry that many people say that if they start with the blood spots, it is time to cull them. It would be too bad, since I just got the hens :-(

I also read about Vitamin A deficiency. How would you know or remedy that?

4. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: