Blood spots in egg yolk??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suburban Sprouts, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wasn't sure if this topic should go here or in "diseases" but since I doubt this is a serious illness, I chose the EGGLAYING category!

Basically, I have a hen who has off and on had small red spots on her yolk... I've seen this in a couple of my other hens as well but not consistently at all. This hen seems to have a spot in ever 3rd or 4th egg, which I honestly wasn't too concerned with. Then, the other day, her egg had 2-3 much larger blood spots on the yolk - about the size of a pencil eraser.

What is the deal, and should I be concerned? I always thought that spots like that had to do with fertility but I don't have any roos in my flock at all...

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

*Laura

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nope, you shouldn't be worried, and it has nothing to do with egg fertility. [​IMG]

It happens to any new layers, sometimes even older layers. It is basically bits that have fallen off while her egg is being formed, and stuck in the yolk. When an egg is first formed, there's no shell, so even old skin/flesh can get in there. It is nothing harmful and happens to any pullet. Part of the cycle.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    First of all it has nothing to do, one way or the other, with fertility. What is happening as the egg travels down the oviduct some blood is sloughing off on to it before the shell is put on. It happens with some hens: some get over it, some don't. It isn't a illness but some will cull birds when it is chronic. As long as you're not selling the eggs and it doesn't gross you out, break the eggs into another bowl when using, pick the blood spot out and use the egg. There is no harm done. BTW, it happens more often than most people realize with commercial establishments except these eggs are electronically sorted out before packaging and sent to bakeries for use.

4. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks, guys!

5. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    this is something i have struggled with past few years. for many many years i had never had any blood or meat spots on eggs..i get grossed out every time i see one. acouple of years ago i went to libary & read sites looking for an answer to reasons why this occurs. found everything from roosters causing damage to hens...hens jumping off perches..to same info posted above and also genics..if female had it will pass to her off spring hens....in other words id found no reason cause for it.but have seen it seems to occur in only certain breeds that i have..buff orpingtons, silver & gold wyandottes , RIR. and cinnamon queens. on the eggs ive noticed blood spots on yolk the shell of eggs also have signs..one the tip of egg is rougher..another are freckles all over shell. i dont understand it being genic hand me down from mother seeing as none of mine have ever hatched , duds.. larger hatcheries would candle eggs before incubating and remove these ..so the genic should of been elimated. the rooster therory doesnt hold up becuz others have said they had no roosters to cause it...jumping off too high of perches..passed it off as old farmers tail....how it happens..as in above postings i am not questioning..but ..why in some and not in others...ive never found them in babtamn eggs. i have no answer for causes. i cant get passed the sight of it so i just toss instead of using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by