blood spots in eggs and hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raspeary, Jan 10, 2010.

1. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    Iwas talking with a lady i give eggs to today and she says some of my eggs have had blood spots in them. She said in her experience she has only had bloodspots in eggs when there are roosters present. Here is the thing, all my chickens are hens. I have no roosters! (at least i don't think, none look or act like roos). Is it possible to have bloodspots in the eggs without roosters?

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that blood spots occur when there is a little capillary hemorrhage in the egglaying apparatus of a hen. It doesn't have anything to do with a rooster. Just the internal workings of the hen. If she hasn't seen those before (without a rooster present in the coop) it has either been luck, or store-bought eggs that were candled repeatedly, etc. to sort out those that had blood spots.

3. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:It has nothing to do with the rooster.
    I think it has more to do with the specific hen. Many of my hens lay eggs with blood spots in them. I have one Wyandotte hen that never has bloodspots in hers.

4. millie481

millie481 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    I found this and I hope it might help you....[​IMG]

RocketDad
    Chillin' With My Peeps
    E-mail PM

Re: yolks with a spot?I had to research this to keep my wife from freaking out.

The yolk detaches from the ovary, and sometimes it can detach a bit soon, and a bit of blood or tissue comes along with the yolk. Like a loose tooth, sorta. The "old wives tale" was that meat spots came from frightened chickens. Maybe, if the farm dog was chasing them. It seems that it can happen from activity when the yolk is near the point of detaching.

Commercial white eggs NEVER have meat spots for various reasons:
    -- Research (sorry, I don't have the links) suggest that brown eggs are more likely to have meat/blood spots
    -- Commercial eggs are candled to identify them, and those are sold in different ways. White eggs are easier to candle with automatic machinery.
    -- Battery hens are confined, so they don't have a chance to jump off the roost at just the wrong time of day.
    -- As the hen matures, they are less likely to occur
    -- As the egg ages, the blood is bleached out by oxygen, so it doesn't show.

They're fine to eat. If it bugs you, pick it out, or scramble the egg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 legal hens and one "ninja"

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. sugarmom

sugarmom New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    I​

I have all hens today I got the eggs that had a blood spot . How can this be?

love my hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by