1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood spots in eggs - breed differences?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amina, Oct 26, 2013.

1. 0-10%

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. 10-25%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 25-50%

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 50-100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    So this is my first time keeping chickens, and I got four hens this summer: 2 buff orpingtons, 1 barred rock, and an easter egger. The easter egger always lays perfect eggs, the barred rock usually lays small eggs with just a white, and the 2 buff orpingtons lay eggs that ALWAYS have large blood spots on the yolks. I know the blood spots aren't dangerous or anything, but I find them really unappetizing and they make me hesitate to give eggs to friends.

My question is, is this a tendency of the buff orpington breed, or was I just unlucky with the two orpingtons that I got? If I get more chickens, are there breeds that I should avoid if I want to avoid the blood spots? For that matter, are there breeds to avoid if I don't want the small yolk-less eggs all the time? Also, do these kinds of problems tend to clear up after a molt?

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    It could be a hereditary trait. It usualy is a little blood vessel and it happens most to older or younger chickens.[​IMG]
    Good luck!

3. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Do you know how old chickens normally are when they start doing this? The orpingtons and the easter egger were last year's pullets, and the barred rock was from the year before last.

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    It somtimes is in the pullet's first eggs they lay.
    Another cause could be to little vitamin A in thier diet.
    You don't have a rooster, do you?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Nope, no rooster.
    As for their diet, all of them get layer feed free choice, some scratch grains as a treat to get them to go where I want, and when we can be out there with them, they free range a little. I could cut back on the scratch grains I guess.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots Link the The Poultry Sites page for blood spots.
    They have a list of reasons. Strain/hereditary factors do seem to be a big possibility in your case with two of the same breed (from the same source?) doing it. You might try adding a vitamin mix to their water since vitamin deficiencies are another cause and you have more than one hen doing it, even if you are feeding a commercial mix, there could be problems with storage or just that the amounts are adequate for most hens but not quite enough for your two girls. You haven't had them under lights or doing a lot of turning on or off, and nothing upsets them in their coop on a regular basis?
    Did you get all the birds from the same place and have they been doing it all along, with the BR laying so may wind eggs, wonder if you got some cull hens.

7. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I got all of the hens from the same friend. At the time, she had about 50 chickens and wanted to sell or give away her full sized hens so that she could just keep her bantams. They were kindof my pick out of her flock because the two orpingtons and the barred rock were the friendliest. I know she got all of these chickens when they were chicks, but I never asked where she got them from.

Thanks for the info page! Adding vitamins to their water sounds like it might be a good idea. I don't have any lighting in the coop, but I do get home after dark frequently and go out there with a flashlight to collect the eggs. I wonder if that's a problem? And I don't know of any noises that would be upsetting them. There aren't any dogs around here, so no barking. I suppose there are occasionally some loud motorcycles that pass our house, but they never act like they're bothered by it.

I did ask her recently about what percent of her eggs normally have blood spots, and she said about 10%. Does that sound high?

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So you have 1-2 year old hens? Not that old, sure wouldn't think age should be a factor. The 10% blood spots sounds high from everything I have read. Know I would be really unhappy if I had 10% in general, mine is a couple percent in the younger birds, some of the old birds are higher. I wouldn't think just going in there with a flash light should do much, light isn't bright enough and you aren't scaring them and making them fly around I wouldn't think.
    I do agree that disturbances can cause them, know when something happens that is really upsetting to mine, I see more.
    Adding vitamins to their water shouldn't hurt anything and it may help, so why not try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by