blood spots in eggs help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crazy Rooster, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    last winters hatch has been laying for around 3 months and some of the egs seem to have what looks like a blood spot in the yolk any ideas////?????

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Quote:it is not any thing to be concerned about. I think it may be hereditary. There is a good explanation on line if you google it. I have a hen that lays eggs with tiny blood spot often..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been getting eggs since Oct. 30th. I got one egg with a lot of blood and several with a small spot or two. I am getting fewer of these as my girls' systems get working. I always break one egg at a time into a small bowl just in case.

4. The old wives tale says its because it is fertile. If you hear that one....it is not true. Just broken blood vessel from mom as the egg is forming usually. It happens once in a while. No big deal and even still safe to eat. If it is too noticeable, my dogs have a scrambled egg treat that morning [​IMG]

5. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    thanks i will google now:p[​IMG]

6. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
  7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If I get one I just remove it and keep whipping those eggs.

Some hens will have them consistently, but when I have seen it, it is just an occasional thing. Not anything to do with if there is a rooster around unless they were sat on forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by