1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood spots in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polar chicks, Nov 5, 2008.

1. polar chicks

polar chicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    northpole, alaska
    I am new to raising chickens and I have 4 black australorps, 4 buffs, and 2 EE, and one rooster EE. I have had blood spots or meat spots in every darker colored egg that I get. Are the black australorps prone to these blood spots???? I've read somewhere on this forum that you can give them vitamin A to help with the blood spots in the eggs but how do you give them vitamin A? I want to sell these eggs but I dont want to have so many spots in them and I've tried to candle them but I cant see inside the eggs.
    Can anyone give me some advise on this problem??????? Oh yeah, today there was an actual smear of blood inside one of the buffs eggs.
    Thanks.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You can grind up a couple of tablets and stir it into a treat like yogurt every couple of weeks. That is what I do with my birds when they need something like vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by