Blood spots in eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lulumammato2, Jun 28, 2011.

1. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    My hens have just started laying. I've cracked open a few eggs and they have little red bloodish spots inside,some have just one but one had a few is this normal? Could it be because they may have been fertlized? We just got rid of our roo last week because we can't have them in the city.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Has nothing to do with fertilization. It means a capillary burst along the reproductive tract of the hen, is all. Quite common, some hens have it happen more often than others.

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They are normal. Not a sign of fertilized eggs. Seems to happen with all young layers. Seems to go away in a few weeks.

They are perfectly safe to eat. If the spots creep you out, you can scoop them out, but it is a pain to catch them. Or you can feed the eggs back to the chickens.

I did have to swallow hard the first time I ate a fried egg with a blood spot.

4. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh yay! I was quite worried and can't wait for it to go away. I chased the little spot all around the pan this morning, then the next one I cracked had quite a few:sick that one didn't even make it in the pan. Thanks for the answers they are very much appreciated:)

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, I get those too. Nothing to worry about. If I'm scrambling them, I ignore it. If they are hardboiled, I nip it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by