1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood spots in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frecky45, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Frecky45

Frecky45 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    Gladstone, Oregon
    Hi All. My question is about the blood spots you sometimes get in eggs. I have 3 Black Sexlinks about 6 1/2 mouths old. They started laying about 2 months back. I feed them organic layer pellets, a couple hand fully of scratch and fresh kitchen scraps(veggies and meat scraps, pasta, rice). Some times meal worms. They do not free range. I consistently collect 3 nice sized eggs every day. I do not have a roo 1) because i live in city limits 2) because i do not want fertile eggs with blood spots in them. Picky, I know! My issue is that many of them DO have blood spots in them anyway. Sometimes just a small spot near the yolk, sometimes larger spots floating freely in the white. Is this normal? I really am not fond of it and have to pre-screen every egg before using it and removing the spots. Some people don't want to use my eggs for this reason. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  3. The reason you don't see blood spots in store eggs is becaus they candle them, and pull out the ones with irregularities.

4. Frecky45

Frecky45 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    Gladstone, Oregon
    Some older posts that I found said the spots would be absorbed after a few days. So if I leave my eggs on the counter for a week or so the spots should be gone? I typically put them directly into the fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by