Blood Spots On Vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gemsbok, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Gemsbok

Gemsbok Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    So today when I went to let my girls out, my 2 year old GLW was still in a nest box. That's not unusual, they tend to sit around after laying and chill, for lack of a better term. I toook the chance to check on her vent; there were three little pinpoint, almost 'flakes' of blood on/ around it. She wasn't visibly bleeding, and it wasn't liquid, more like the little red-but-dried clots you see a few hours after a nosebleed. This is the first time I've seen this, but this is also the first time I've checked her vent so soon after laying. She didn't seem upset or unwell, and her vent was normally colored, not red or inflamed or otherwise irritated. If anything she was more upset that I was harassing her, and hopped away and out of the next box and started foraging like normal.

She's always tended to lay eggs with small meat spots in them, which wasn't an issue because she never acted off and we're not selling the eggs.

Basically, has anyone else seen this? She lays maybe 3 or 4 times a week, on a pretty normal schedule. Her eggs sometimes have those little 'pimples' on the shell, but never anything alarming. Is it something I should worry about? If so, what can I do for her?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do she ever lay any eggs with blood on them?

Look her over for any lice/mites, also look at where you saw the blood to see if it's possible she or another chicken pulled a few feathers from that area.

Just keep an eye on her and inspect her vent for a few days. If she regularly has meat spots in her eggs, the blood could have been from a tiny bloody vessel that ruptured during laying. If you continue to see more blood or a lot of it, then further investigation would be in order.

Here's a good article https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by