Blood spots? please read.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhens44, Dec 27, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Lately a lot of my eggs have been getting blood spots.
    I have a few questions

1.) why am i getting blood spots
    2.) its in unhealthy for the chickens to be laying eggs with spots
    3.) is there ways to prevent it

my moms getting really fed up with the spots, (i dont blame her)

any suggestions?

2. HerAlterEgo

HerAlterEgo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Marion, TX
    If the blood spots are in the egg, then they're fertilized and need to be collected and refrigerated more often and sooner.

If it's on the shells, it's possible there is a tear.

I wouldn't worry too much unless it's a lot of blood and it doesn't clear up in a few days.

3. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Yes, I have had blood on the outside before..... I had to look at all the chicken bums and figure out who it was. Then treat them accordingly. But if they are inside listen to HerAlterEgo!!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If there are blood spots on the outer shell, you might want to check for lice/mites around their vent area.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Blood spots are NOT an indication they are fertile. They have nothing to do with fertility or roosters, they have to do with the egg laying machinery.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:No. Wrong information.

Blood/meat spots have nothing to do with fertilization. And the US is just about the only country that refrigerates eggs. Eggs will not begin to develop until subjected to incubating temps for several days.

This is how to tell if an egg is fertile or not. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Blood/meat
    spots are indicators of a hiccup inside the system and generally are not a permanant issue. Blood streaks on the outside of the shell are usually attributed to new layers.

1. No reason, it just happens sometimes. They are not at all harmful, though I do pick them out.

2. No.

3. Not that I know of.

8. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    I also get tiny blood-spots inside the eggs occasionally.I do not keep a roo with my girls,so there is no way the eggs are fertile.

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Quote:I agree. We have had 2 eggs with small blood spots, and there are no roos here so not even a snowball's chance in Hades that the eggs could be fertile. Both of those eggs with the blood spots, though, were from chickens that had only recently started laying. Do you have any hens that just started laying? Perhaps it belongs to one of them?

I don't think it's anything serious to worry about, but definitely keep an eye on things. If you start getting more blood than yolk, I'd worry (that would just be really gross).

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could always candle your eggs, to check for blood spots. Other than that, you can crack eggs into a small bowl, before using them.

I don't get blood spots very often in my chicken's eggs. Once every few months, maybe. I can see where it would be frustrating to be getting a lot of them. Some people are more disturbed by them than others, too. It's funny how people will eat a steak that was bloody and cooked, but one little spot of blood in an egg and they are totally grossed out.

It's possible that this chicken will get over this on her own, especially if she's a new layer.

Edited to add, Are your chickens eating a balanced diet? What I'm wondering, is if they might be a little low on vitamin K. They need this to clot. If you have them on a balanced diet and they are new layers, they may just need time to sort things out internally. If they've been laying for some time and a lot of them are starting to have problems, then I'd double check their diet. Some people are mixing their own feed or using feed from new companies, where it might be good to check on the formula. This time of year the chickens aren't foraging and getting it from foraged foliage, either.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by