1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood spots & Rooster? Any link?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommainpa, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mommainpa

mommainpa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Two more newbie questions---thanks for your patience!

I took my eggs (five-month-old newly laying hens) out to the owner of our farm market since he is considering carrying them in his store. He was concerned about the number of small blood/meat spots in the eggs & wants me to try to reduce them by candling.

I've never candled. Do meat & blood spots show up?

He also wondered if there is any link between the spots & the fact that I keep a rooster. What is your experience?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!
    Shayne

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can't tell you about the candling as I have never done it. As far as the meat spots, I have a hen who is prone to having them in her eggs, and my others occasionally have them and I do not have a rooster. I don't believe there is any correlation between the two.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Shayne, roosters have not a thing to do with blood spots or meat spots.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you have a bird that lays eggs with meat spots, they typically ALWAYS lay eggs with meat spots. however, in your case, it could be because they are brand new layers. I'd give them a couple more weeks, and then check again.

As far as candling to see meat spots or blood spots...I'm not sure on that. Someone with candling experience will know!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Blood spots/meat spots have nothing to do with a rooster. They are caused by a glitch in the hens reproductive systems when the egg is being formed down her ductwork [​IMG] Some new pullets get these once in awhile til they get the production line working well! Even older hens get these. You don't see them in grocery store eggs because they have high tense machines that can see and candle those out before sending them on to stores.

Anyone that raises chickens knows meatspots/bloodspots happen and just spoon them out when cooking/baking. Try giving the pullets some Black Oiled Sunflower seeds in their diet to help. My thoughts.

5. mommainpa

mommainpa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Thanks for the quick responses! I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with my roo, because he is sweet & takes good care of the girls when they are outside. Plus, I want to try to let them hatch peeps in the spring. [​IMG]
    Thanks again,
    Shayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by