1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood spots??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I remember somewhere that blood spots happen when the egg is forming, that it slips in there so to speak and that it happens with young chickens. I understand that. My question is does any of you have this occur frequently and what seems like ever since the rooster started to mate with them? Also, do you sell your eggs and how do you go about explaining that? the reason i want to know is because i want to sell my eggs. Please give me your opinioin on this. If there is something i'm missing here please let me know.

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mmm, I sell about 15 dozen eggs a week to coworkers. I had a hen that chronically spotted. I had to cull her. It hurt since she was a sweet hen. It is my uninformed opinion that a hen's torn oviduct tissue has nothing to do with breeding with a rooster. It is just a flaw with her reproductive tract. I have read that the darkest egg layers have the worst problems with spotting. I don't know if it is a genetic issue or because dark eggs are harder to candle. I have a very bright small LED flashlight I can candle my eggs with. A blood spot will show up in the white of my wyandotte eggs.

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Do you sell those eggs too?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  5. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I have an occasional blood spot but I don't think much of it. We eat them anyway.

6. Billy7871

Billy7871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I candle my eggs and do not see anything I am not willing to eat myself. I am not willing to eat an egg with blood spots or meat spots. I just break them open to see what was in them. I get about 2 egg out of 20 with meat spots and have got 2 in 6 months with blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by