Blood spots

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chris623, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Chris623

Chris623 Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    I'm new to this chicken farmin' thing. My 14 hens are dutifully providing me with a minimum of a dozen eggs a day. My girlfriend and I are in this together, and she's been selling them at work. One of her customers complained she'd had an egg with a blood spot that looked to be about a teaspoon in size. While I personally doubt that, I'm curious as to the danger, if any, of blood spots. We offered a dozen eggs as replacement, but she turned down the offer............but she has never bought any more from us.

All the reading I've been doing on blood spots indicates several causes. The only one I think I might be guilty of is too much light. It's been dipping below freezing here in Central Oklahoma pretty much every day or so since before Christmas and I've installed a Red Heat Lamp in their coop attached to a Thermo-cube. So there is light in the coop almost 24 hours a day. I'm going to get a popcorn tin and install the lamp inside that with ventilation holes to solve the problem. I'm not concerned about vitamin deficiencies because I've covered that area pretty thoroughly. Their feed stays dry, so there's never any mold in it. I don't have gun shots or loud noises being made which might cause it. But does anyone have any thoughts on the matter which might help a chicken newbie?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have one hen that almost always has a small meat spot in her eggs.

Haven't had much experience with blood spots.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Blood spots are not all that unusual, especially when they first start laying. It takes a while for their egg laying system to work out the kinks. Commercial growers solve the problem by candling the eggs by machine. That's why you don't see them in the eggs from the grocery store. I've had an egg with about a teaspoon sized blood spot,but most are a lot smaller.

As mine get older, I get fewer blood spots. Unfortunately I also have one that lays a lot with meat spots in them. I haven't been able to figure out which one.

If you keep your eggs below say 75 degrees Fahrenheit, they should not develop if fertile. Above 75 degrees they can possibly start developing. The first development is not blood veins, it's the brain and backbone. Veining comes soon after.

4. Blood spots;

The yolk is formed in the follicular sac by the deposition of continuous layers of yolk material. Ninety-nine percent of the yolk material is formed within the 7-9 days before the laying of the egg. When the yolk matures, the follicular sac ruptures or splits along a line with few, of any, blood vessels. If any blood vessels cross the stigma, a small drop of blood may be deposited on the yolk as it is released from the follicle. This causes most blood spots in eggs. After the yolk is released from the follicle, it is kept intact by the vitelline membrane surrounding it. The release of the yolk from the ovary is called "ovulation."

Blood spots are common and egg farms routinely candle for them. Eggs with spots are sold to bakeries, etc and are consumed. There is no taste difference and no hazard associated with blood spots. No difference between eating the eggs or a little blood in your chicken dinner........Pop

5. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Songster

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I usually try to explain to people I give eggs to that it is possible to get blood or meat spots, and if they do get one, they can discard it or pick it out with a spoon - though it is completely safe to eat. I think people get grossed out by it, and I don't blame them, since it is kind of disconcerting to find one after you have been used to years of store bought, candled eggs.

I have often thought of putting a little typed sticker on the inside of the carton saying something to the effect of "You have received farm fresh eggs that have not been commercially candled. Periodically, a small red or brown spot may occur inside the egg. This is completely normal and in no way effects the safety or edibility of the egg."[​IMG]

6. Chris623

Chris623 Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    Thank you for the comments. The only thing I gleam from them is maybe the hens are still young yet. (7 months old) We have no rooster, so I know the eggs aren't fertile.........unless they are experiencing some sort of "other-worldly" conception. [​IMG] I am going to pursue the heat lamp enclosure, though, because now that it's been mentioned I imagine it's possibly upsetting the hens to not have total darkness at night.

7. 31 parkway

31 parkway In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks Pop. Sounds scientific, logical, and practical. That's a combination that can't be beaten.
    31 parkway

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: