Blood Stop Powder--OK for food-producing chickens? OK past expiration?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I was padding my order from Poultryman Supply Company so I'd get free shipping and added a product called Blood Stop Powder. Thought it might come in handy for those occasional rooster fights or predator attacks.

First they sent me a product from AgriLabs that had an expiration date of 6/07 printed on the side! This container has no caution against using it on food-producing animals. The guy from Poultryman says it's still fine to use, even though it's over a year past its expiration date. Its ingredients are: Iron Sulfate 84%, Carboxy Methylcellulose 5%, Diphenylamine 1%, Corn Starch 10%.

Then they sent for a replacement a product from Durvet. The place on the label with the Lot No. & exp. date has been smeared so it's unreadable. Its label does caution "Not for use on food producing animals". Its ingredients are Ferrous Sulfate 84%, Diphenylamine 1%, Chloroxylenol 1%, Tannic Acid 1%, in a free-flowing absorbant base.

I'm wondering what y'all think. Would you use the outdated product? Would you use the stuff that cautions against use on food-producing animals?

I'm guessing that this product is used mostly on birds who are getting their combs dubbed, but could it be helpful for other types of injuries? It's not worth mailing it back to Poultryman for a refund, I'd have to spend half its worth on return postage.

I will NOT be ordering from Poultryman Supply ever again. The free shipping I earned with my $50 order was parcel post! And it's been a real headache trying to get a replacement for the outdated product.

2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have used the stop bleeding powder many times on dogs being a dog groomer but I can only think of a couple of times on a rooster & a hen. I have a few different brands which include powder & gel. If you are worried about withdrawal, then use flour. It takes a bit more to stop the bleeding but it does work. I have used it in a pinch & was successful. [​IMG]

3. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That's a good suggestion. Do you think corn starch would work as well or even better than the Blood Stop powder?

I have a pal who is a dog groomer, maybe I'll just give her these canisters. Do you think the guy from Poultryman Supply was right, that it is still useable so long after its expiration date? I'm skeptical about the reliability of his advice, among other things.

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh yeah, it is still good. I have a couple of old ones that work fine. You don't really need much of it so it lasts forever.

Not sure if cornstarch would work, you could try it & see. [​IMG]

5. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The expired canister lists corn starch as 10% of its ingredients. If flour works as a coagluant, I'd think corn starch would work as well or better. If it's still effective after its expiration date, why is one listed on the label? There's no phone # nor website listed for this manufacturer, it's AgriLabs in St Joseph, MO.

6. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If you are worried about stopping bleeding on chickens you can use flour, or pick a fluffy down feather off and stick it on there. To be honest though, most chickens will clot up well without aid unless you catch a main artery.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've used flour and I'll stick to it or corn starch. Works great, even on little finch fingernails, and chick belly buttons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by