Blood streaked egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Dec 10, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Just wondering if this only happens with the first egg/new layers or if it's somewhat common for seasoned layers.

Our first egg had some blood on the shell. I wasn't surprised or worried. Our second had none. Just got me wondering if the blood typically only shows up for the first lay.

(this would also satisfy someone who seems to be convinced that we got snookered into buying older chickens at the show and not older pullets.)

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    From what little I know (weve only had chickens since June), it's common in first time layers. I suppose older hens could have bleeding if they laid a really large egg than they normally do though. But [​IMG].

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

When my started to lay I got a couple bloody eggs. They are just being stretched out.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've occasionally had that happen with the first egg from a pullet. Especially if the first egg wasn't one of the smaller "pullet eggs."

I've never had it happen with an older hen. In case that helps with your discussion. [​IMG]

5. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Thanks!

As for the egg size...it wasn't a small egg! It was the same size as the eggs in the cartoon of Meds that we got from the store! So I was impressed. [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Oh, my! I'd be giving out an extra snack for that!

7. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    2 of my 3 had bloody eggs for the first egg or two. One of my EE's first eggs was a double yolker and that had more blood than the others... the thing looked like a dinosaur egg! I felt so bad for her! [​IMG]

8. corydonald

corydonald Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    my coop
    nvm about it. its normal. if theres ALOT of blood, thats another story.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by