Blood streaked egg

epona4

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Central Indiana
Just wondering if this only happens with the first egg/new layers or if it's somewhat common for seasoned layers.

Our first egg had some blood on the shell. I wasn't surprised or worried. Our second had none. Just got me wondering if the blood typically only shows up for the first lay.

(this would also satisfy someone who seems to be convinced that we got snookered into buying older chickens at the show and not older pullets.)

From what little I know (weve only had chickens since June), it's common in first time layers. I suppose older hens could have bleeding if they laid a really large egg than they normally do though. But
hu.gif

I've occasionally had that happen with the first egg from a pullet. Especially if the first egg wasn't one of the smaller "pullet eggs."

I've never had it happen with an older hen. In case that helps with your discussion.
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks!

As for the egg size...it wasn't a small egg! It was the same size as the eggs in the cartoon of Meds that we got from the store! So I was impressed.
smile.png

2 of my 3 had bloody eggs for the first egg or two. One of my EE's first eggs was a double yolker and that had more blood than the others... the thing looked like a dinosaur egg! I felt so bad for her!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom