1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood Streaked Eggs when Laid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elisabeth Rose, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Elisabeth Rose

Elisabeth Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

My hen Golden has been laying eggs with streaks of blood on them for a few days. I tried to look at her vent and it looked like there might be a small tear in the soft pink interior. Is there anything I can do to help her? Does it mean her eggs are too big for her? She is an Ameracauna, age 11 months and her eggs are much smaller than my other hens (Barred Rock and NH Red). They are about "medium" as far as purchased eggs. Thanks for any advice- you have always helped me here with the best advice!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Her egg size sound normal. She may have gotten vent pecked. you can put a little triple antibiotic on the area. If you think it's necessary, you can keep her somewhere dark for a few days to discourage laying while she heals. Really though, it's a common occurrence and usually clears up on it's own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by