Blood streaks on outside of an egg... Spotty eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JillsChicks, Dec 17, 2007.

1. JillsChicks

JillsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Western NY
    My White Leghorn pullets are finally laying! They are the only ones who fly over the top of the barn stall coop (it's not yet fenced all the way to the ceiling). DH found a stash of frozen eggs outside under a pile of fence posts. Then I found a nest up in the hay mow (several eggs where still good, but others were frozen.) I've actually made little nesting sites in more convenient places in the barn so I can get to these pretty white eggs - let's see if they use them.

Here's my question - DD brought in a white egg tonight that had blood streaked on the outside of it... Are the roosters mating with her causing a problem? Anyone ever seen this before?

Also, one of the chickens lays eggs that consistently have dark brown spots on them and always a blood spot. Is this a sign that she's getting old? (I think she's almost 2?)

Ann

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Mine get streaks on them too. Some times a little vein will bleed because of pressure. It isn't anything to worry about.

2 isn't really very old. I have some that are laying that are older then 2.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Thats very normal....feed them some black oiled sunflower seeds in their diet...helps lube...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by