1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood-tinged light yellow pasty poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I received a 13-month old hen tonight that was given to me because her owner thought she stopped laying because she is acting like a roo towards the other hens. I have a roo, so we thought we'd try to remind her that she's a hen...well, I just noticed that she has some very light yellow pasty poo with small blood streaks in it. I just looked at it under the microscope, and comparing it to my parasitology books, there's a few suspicious-looking things, but I can't make a diagnosis. She's eating & drinking fine. Any ideas? I am concerned about taking her home tonight and putting her with my flock, but don't really have any other options...
    THANKS!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would certainly not put her in with my flock. Any new chicken needs to be isolated for at least a month, far enough away to avoid possible passing of any respiratory problems, and that is still no guarantee. I doubt that her not laying has anything to do with "acting like a roo." I have 4 hens and no roo, and it is obvious which one thinks she is the roo, but she lays well; this is evidently a common experience. Sounds like this hen is not laying due to some sort of illness.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    BTW...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by