Blood Under Right Wing of cornish x rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by berdje, Aug 9, 2011.

1. berdje

berdje New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    I am a new chicken owner. I have chicks 4 weeks old. I noticed two days ago that one of my cornish x rocks (which is growing much faster than the other breeds)was laying around more than normal in the coop. The next day same thing but kind of on her side. If I lifted her up to her feet she took two steps and went back down. I seperated her last night from the rest (in case of sickness). This morning she was sitting but seemed okay. When I returned from work today at 4 she was sitting and there was blood coming from under her right wing. I dont see any injury. I am so clueless. Any help would be welcome.
    Thank you,
    Berdje

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I can only guess, is the skin punctured (cut)? does it look like fresh blood? or old blood? Is it possible the blood came from her comb(others pecking her) when she was cleaning herself? maybe others might have some ideas? [​IMG]

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Do you have any photos for us?

Welcome to BYC.

Are you planning on eating this bird? Many people get CornishX's by accident - thinking that they can be pets or laying birds. They are bred for meat production and grow at a rapid rate. It's not common for them to live longer than a year and even then, it would be necessary to limit feed to a very small amount. I've known of CornishX's living to 2 years - but this is very uncommon. They usually develop leg problems/heart problems if allowed to grow and will usually die from one or the other.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news if you were planning on this bird as a pet.....

If you were planning on eating it, however - I would suggest processing the bird now if the injury were great enough.

4. berdje

berdje New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Thank you for your replies, the bird has passed on. I had purposely ordered 5 to eat. I lost one at 4 days and now this one. I am sticking to the egg layers from now on. It is a little uncanny how rapidly they grow - at a rate that does not seem normal. The blood was fresh, when I lifted the wing I could see through the skin something that looked dark and like a chicken liver - weird. I hope this does not happen again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by