Blood under roost this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shelly1st, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Shelly1st

Shelly1st New Egg

May 20, 2011
    This morning when I went to clean the coop, I noticed blood mixed in with the poo. I inspected all my girls and one of my hens did have a dirty butt. Her butt was covered in what looked like broken egg. There was no blood on her. I was able to pick her up and she was pushing out what felt like a soft egg shell. I gently pulled on the shell and I think I got it all. Her butt was caked with dried poo and egg, so I tried to remove it with warm water. She is currently resting on a roost in the run, while the rest of the girls are busy scratching. Should I take her to a vet? I'm worried that she may be too cold since I did get her butt pretty wet. The temp outside is currently 37 degrees. Thank you.

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    You can bring her in and blow her dry w/ a hair dryer. Or can you put her in a dog crate w/ a heat lamp to let her warm up and fully dry and then put her back out when the sun is up and the temps warm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by