Blood vent area

SneakyWaffles

Hatching
Apr 29, 2017
Not sure if this is an "emergency" but regardless, I'd say it's pretty bad. Ok this chicken of mine has always had a problem around her vent area because poo would always accumulate there. She doesn't even grow feathers there anymore because of this. We try to help her by giving her baths sometimes, and getting any poop off if we can. Today I noticed she was bleeding, to the point that it was dripping off of her feathers a little bit. I also noticed that my other chicken was pecking it a little (i was far away, didn't see bleeding at the time, didn't worry about it) anyone have advice?

Not sure if this is an "emergency" but regardless, I'd say it's pretty bad. Ok this chicken of mine has always had a problem around her vent area because poo would always accumulate there. She doesn't even grow feathers there anymore because of this. We try to help her by giving her baths sometimes, and getting any poop off if we can. Today I noticed she was bleeding, to the point that it was dripping off of her feathers a little bit. I also noticed that my other chicken was pecking it a little (i was far away, didn't see bleeding at the time, didn't worry about it) anyone have advice?
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Can you take her to the vet?

That does not look good at all. Separate her so the others don't pick her to death.

Clean flush the vent with some saline, diluted betadine or Chlorhexidine. Pat dry and apply some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment. Keep her separated on clean, dry bedding and offer her some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed.

It's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like it could be infected. She looks swollen as well - does she still lay eggs? What does her poop look like?
With the swelling like that, it could be inflammation from the picking/plucking and infection, but she may also have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Ascites, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer or tumors.

Let us know how she's doing.

I don't think she's laid an egg for months! And I think her poops are normal. I checked on her this morning, she's acting normal wondering around eating bugs, I think the other chickens stopped pecking at it, and it appears to not be bleeding anymore. But I can know confirm it was dripping blood at some point because I see little drops of blood around her coop.

I don't think she's laid an egg for months! And I think her poops are normal. I checked on her this morning, she's acting normal wondering around eating bugs, I think the other chickens stopped pecking at it, and it appears to not be bleeding anymore. But I can know confirm it was dripping blood at some point because I see little drops of blood around her coop.
If nothing else, apply some Blu Kote to help cover the redness. It may possibly help with healing the wounds as well, but she really needs some extra care if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom