Blood Work

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by roosters97, Aug 30, 2008.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Okay, i am getting my blood work done today and, my worse fear is needles,,, does it hurt?

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    You'll be just fine. My 5 year old had to have bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Ask for the kids bandaids, they are much cooler. [​IMG]

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem and it’s a phobia that actually has a name: Trypanophobia. The anticipation of the pain is much worse than the pain itself. I’ve had a lot of blood work done and I donate blood as well, so I have some suggestion that have helped me:

* make sure your skin in warm; wear a sweater and keep your arms covered for an hour before you go in because often labs are chilly places. If you skin is warm the needle will go in easier. If fasting is not part of your blood work make sure you have a good meal in your stomach.

* Just tell the technicians that this a problem for you, and ask them them to let you lie down when they do your blood work. They are always very nice people who will totally understand your position and they will certainly accommodate you. Also, after they do the blood work, just lie quietly on the table for about 5 minutes so that you won’t faint if you get up too fast.

* Remember that Phlebotomists do this as a career, and they are really really good at what they do and they want to be in an out as fast as possible. They take a lot of pride in their work and they care about the patients. I often find them to be more caring the harried doctors and nurses.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

~Phyllis

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  4. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    okay I did it!! thanks ya'll

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Glad you made it through ok. I used to have a terrible fear of needles. Finally got over it thank goodness.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh boy, I hate hate hate bloodwork! I have to have it done every three months because I have type one diabetes. I have terrible veins to begin with (Very deep) but they usually have to poke me more than once and then I just work myself all up. For some reason even though the doctors tell me it shouldn't hurt, the technicians have to go so deep to hit a vein that it hurts a whole heck of a lot!

I'm glad you got through it though. I always ask for the butterfly needle, as that is the only thing that works for me. The technicians are almost always nice enough to use this for me, and it works every time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by