1. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    [​IMG]Ugh. Found the coop like this today. I need some advice. These chickens have been vaccinated against coccidia. They are 10 months old and free range. One right now has a pendulous crop that we treated with antifungal's and antibiotics including a crop bra. I have another that is going through a light molt. Lastly I checked all their vent and they look normal except for one Brahma whose vent had a yellowish tinge. I plan to do treat with Corid, but any other ideas ? Thank you so much and advance [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi.

It wouldn't be normal for 10 month old who free ranges to get cocci or to molt.

Any poo pictures? Sorry I can't tell anything by looking at that vent.

I would wait for more input. Although Corid won't hurt anybody, I prefer not to treat what I don't know. What are your signs of Cocci?

What are you feeding, including treats? Size of your coop/run/roost? Size of your flock? Weather conditions?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you know that birds of any age can get coccidiosis?

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's a lot of blood. Can you take one to the vet and have them check it?

-Kathy

5. EggSighted4Life

No, I didn't. I also didn't see the first pic of the roost.

Thank you for letting me know!

6. EggSighted4Life

That is a lot of blood. At my vet a visit is $45 and a fecal sample is $15.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's a reasonable price.

-Kathy

8. Speckledfarmer

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    I wouldn't even know which chicken to take in. I posted on another forum and a lot of people thought it look like a foot injury. I've been able to catch about eight of my 20 hens and at least four of them had to beginnings of bumble foot. Admittedly I was doing really well checking for this in the summer but have slacked off . I soaked their feet and remove the little black core but now the rest are on to me. I will check each individual set of feet once they are roosting tonight. Thank you everybody.

9. Speckledfarmer

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    I thought the moulting was odd as well. She's low hen in the pecking order and is really challenging to catch. I will take a look at her more closely tonight.

10. EggSighted4Life

This is when it helps to know where they perch if possible. You can always finish up after they go to roost if you have to. [​IMG]

What would be causing bumble foot?

Regarding cocci, I have seen one poo blood in the morning and not the very next time. When sample was taken in they confirmed. For that, it just has to be a suspicious one. All flocks have some cocci, it's an over growth of them that is the issue. I didn't suspect it partly because you free range. But during the wet season I had to treat 2 broods of chicks. Last 2 sets I didn't. But now knowing it is in my pasture (they showed signs 6 days after going out) and that adults can get it to..... The rainy season has started back up. Guess I will keep my eyes open. [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by