blood

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hitnspit, Jan 31, 2011.

1. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    is there any use for the blood from a chicken? I plan on doing many chickens and turkeys this year and was just wondering if anyone did anything about the blood?....jim

2. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    if you had lots and lots you could probably make black puddings, or blood sausage. You'll need a lot though. Not that much blood in a chicken

3. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I put mine in the compost pile. It's supposed to help compost decompose quicker. Some people spill it on the lawn to help fertilize it.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I put sawdust in the bottom of the wheelbarrel that catches it, then put it on the compost pile. The blood will add to the overall nutrients of the compost. I suppose if you could somehow dry it out by itself, you would have bloodmeal.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    there was a great post on this thread not to long ago by a guy who's asian FIL helped him butcher a chicken and showed him how to use ALL of the parts, one of the things he did was let the blood thicken and then boiled it into a sort of patty. It was very interesting.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Feed your corn, if you grow any. . . ? [​IMG] Poultry don't bleed much though, but back in the times, the Aztecs used to feed their Maize crops with blood. (not chicken's blood though. . [​IMG] )

7. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Quote:Blood has a lot of nitrogen. Corn needs a lot of nitrogen....

8. thedancingemu

thedancingemu New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm sure you could use the blood to fertilize any plant that benefits from blood meal application, but I don't know how much you'd want to use, I'm sure the dosage is different for liquid vs. dried. If you're not going to use it right away, I like the idea of letting the blood soak into sawdust or other mulchable vegetable matter, or just adding it to the compost, I'm sure it's much easier than trying to dry it into blood meal.

You could try blood sausage if you can get enough blood, I don't know how well blood freezes, but maybe you could keep freezing it until you have enough. Also, some recipes for coq au vin call for blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by