1. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    Today we found bloody stools all over out mini brooder coop. We have 4 4 week old silkies. I took each one out separately and placed them in an empty tote. After they pooped I looked at them and found 2 of the 4 had blood. We read that they probably have cocci. We bought some sulmet and added it to their water. All the birds appear to be active and not acting sick. Will they be ok? Does the sulmet work? Should we be worried about our other laying flock? They are not together yet.

2. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    if u caught it in time they should be sulmet worked for my chicks only cuz i caught it in time and cleaned and i disinfect everything just to make sure that theres nothing else that could make them sick i really hope ur silkies get better [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I had two young chicks, a silkie and a sizzle that ended up with cocci. I treated them with Sulmet and they were fine. However two weeks later I introduced them to my layers and several of them ended up sick. If your older birds haven't been vaccinated or exposed to cocci you will need to give them something to keep them healthy while they build up immunity. I ended up treating mine with Corid so I didn't have to throw out the eggs. Hope your little ones do ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by