Bloodline question regarding light sussex & coronation

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wuwu77, Sep 14, 2009.

1. wuwu77

wuwu77 New Egg

Oct 21, 2007
    I've been watching most of the auctions of light sussex & coronation eggs & chicks. All the birds/eggs for sale seem to be descendants from the same breeder who imported them from Australia in '07. So why then does everyone say their birds are unrelated? Or state "my breeders come from a particular breeder who has excellent bloodlines"? The only answer I've received to so far is "I bought my eggs and/or birds from different people". How can they say this and how can a poultry bloodline from just a relatively few descendants be improved without spoiling the bloodline by mix-breeding.

Also, the coronation, I've been told, is actually a light sussex but of a different color/mutation (i.e. albino, axanthic, etc.) and a recessive trait. Which I think makes the breed interesting to reproduce. From my experience of reptile breeding, I would say the coronation looks hypomelanistic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lets talk genetics...

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I know of three sources of light Sussex in US. Not to say that there aren't more but they're cetainly not thick on the ground.
    Of the three lines I've seen since being here, only the Austalian imports were birds of similar quality to those I was used to in UK. The other two lines being very much of the type that would often be described as "utility", which is a coverall term often used (incorrectly) to describle birds of a similar quality to those known as hatchery stock in US.

I think saying bird are unrelated is something which is frequently claimed whether it is true or no.
    Clearly if they are all from the chap with the Australan imports then it must be unlikely that they are unrelated. I suppose the coronation & the lights are interchangeable, if fresh blood is needed, presuming them to be unrelated.

In the case of Coronation Sussex from Australia they have the same genotype as lights but with homozygous lavender (lav/lav). The original UK Coronation Sussex are have the same genotype as lights but with heterozygous andalusian blue (Bl/bl+).

3. wuwu77

wuwu77 New Egg

Oct 21, 2007
    Thanks for that info and responding. I appreciate it. I would like to know what I can about these birds.

4. pocopoyo

pocopoyo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    The Coronation Sussex is a Lavender version of the Light Sussex.
    I have seen Light Sussex in the US but they are not of the same quality as the Australian imports. The Australian birds are huge. I think they imported some Silver Sussex too. Silvers are very rare in the US.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The Australian birds are huge.

These would be similar to the British Sussex Fowl.​

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    In reply to them not being related because they purchased their birds from someone else- That maybe so to their knowledge. IE, they bought their birds from someone who purchased from the guy who brought them over from Australia (without knowing the original stock, be surprised the people who never ask questions about the lines). Remember the guy has been selling these birds since 07/08. That's 1-2 years and i know of at least 8 different people whom have bought those birds not counting the young breeding pairs he sold this year which will be breeding/reproducing within months.

As for your question on how birds can't be ruined from only importing a trio of birds.. That's fairly simple. You have to keep in mind that at some point, many birds are related. You can keep a bloodline going strong with good selective/line breeding well over 25 years and never lose quality if you know how, i know people who've done it. And with so many people buying these birds and branching off into their own little families it will be much easier later on to buy a bird from someone who has bred them "Right" and freshen your birds blood up- almost as if they were never even related.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by