Bloodspots

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nes, Jun 22, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    I know they won't kill you if you eat them [​IMG].

Are blood spots always hereditary?
    Is there no other possible cause then genes?

I've got to find out which one of my hens eggs are giving them to me, I think I'll start labeling the eggs when I collect them *sigh*.
    We'll either cull, or just not allow her to raise chicks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not always, but I would suggest not hatching her eggs. This is from the Egg Quality Handbook and gives a few possible causes.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Blood vessels rupturing in the ovary or oviduct, affected by:

Levels of vitamin A and vitamin K in the die Keep vitamin premixes cool and dry. If you prepare your own, they must be properly formulated and mixed.

Vitamin K antagonists (e.g. the drug sulphaquinoxaline and a component of lucerne meal) Layer diets should not contain high levels of lucerne meal. Withdraw the drug sulphaquinoxaline from layers at least 10 days before collecting eggs for human consumption and follow any other requirements for correct medication.

Fungal toxins Do not allow feed bins or feed lines to become contaminated by stale, wet or mouldy feed.

Lighting programme Do not use continuous light, or light programmes consisting of short, intermittent light periods.

Frights and disturbances Take care that birds are not disturbed by unusual or sudden loud sounds in the layer shed.

Avian encephalomyelitis Follow an effective vaccination programme.

Strain of bird Incidence of this fault may be higher in some strains.

3. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    oh, thanks RR!!

We just moved in 2 weeks ago to our chicken's house, with dogs & cats & kids!
    I will give her a few weeks them to see if getting used to all this activity is going to stop the blood spots.

Our chickies are in the coop so we've got their heat-lamp on and it's quite bright, but the egg spots were from before we got the chicks.

They shouldn't be on any medication.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by